Protection Orders

SAFETY ALERT: If you are in immediate danger, please call 911. There is always a computer trail, but you can leave this site quickly by clicking the "Leave Site" button. 

How can you file a Protection Order?

If you have experienced domestic violence, we highly encourage you to consider obtaining a protection order. 

A Protection Order is a document issued by a court and signed by a judge to help protect you from harassment or abuse. In an Order of Protection, a judge can set limits on your partner's behavior. Among other things, a judge can:

  •  Order your partner to stop abusing you and your children 
  •  Tell your partner to leave and stay away from your home, your workplace and your family
  •  Direct your partner to have no contact with you—including no phone calls, letters, emails or messages through other people
  •  Order your partner to stay away from the children, their babysitter, day care or school

Although a protection order is not a guarantee that abusive behavior will stop, protection orders have been proven to be relatively effective in domestic violence situations. There is no fee to get a Protection Order and they can be granted for up to 5 years.

South Dakota has two types of protection order forms:

For each type of protection order, you must complete the following:

  •  Petitioner Information Form (UJS-090B)
  •  Respondent Information Form (UJS-090C)
  •  Petition Form (UJS-091A)

We know these forms can be very confusing and overwhelming. If you would like assistance in completing these forms, come to Children’s Home Shelter for Family Safety or call us at 605-338-4880 for help. 

Otherwise, download our checklist to ensure you have completed the Protection Order forms as accurately as possible.

You deserve to be safe. 
We can help.


Find Safe Shelter

Children’s Home Shelter for Family Safety 113 N St Paul Ave, Sioux Falls, SD 57103 (605) 338-4880