Rte Resources

Residential Treatment and Education Resources

Guiding children and strengthening families.

We understand that these decisions are often difficult. Having questions is normal and we are here to help provide you with as much information as possible to help you understand and guide you through the residential treatment and education process. We are committed to helping your child and your family succeed. 

Frequently Asked Questions:

Q: Where are you located?

A: We provide residential treatment and education in both eastern and western South Dakota. 

Sioux Falls Children's Home is located in Sioux Falls, SD and Black Hills Children's Home is located near Rapid City, SD. 

Q: What age of children do you serve?

A: We serve children between the ages of 4 and 14.

We are licensed by South Dakota's Department of Social Services to provide residential treatment and educational services to children between the ages of 4 and 14. 

Q: What types of needs do you specialize in treating?

A: We provide services to children with a variety of diagnoses and emotional or behavioral needs, including:

  •  Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
  •  Reactive Attachment Disorder
  •  Childhood Trauma
  •  Abuse & Neglect
  •  Anxiety Disorder
  •  Parent-Child Challenges


Q: What kind of criteria do you consider in determining admission?

A: We consider a variety of criteria, including:

  •  Whether a primary diagnosis indicates moderate to severe psychiatric difficulty
  •  If the child cannot be managed in the home or family setting
  •  If public school is unable to provide a suitable program
  •  If the child presents a danger to self or others
  •  If community services are not able to meet the child's needs

Q: What expectations do you have of our family?

A: Family involvement is critical to the success of your child. 

We encourage contact and expect that you and your family will participate in therapy services to ensure the best outcome for your child. For more information, please contact us through our Admissions pages.

Q: Who will have direct contact with my child?  

A: Our staff is composed of highly trained professionals. 

Your child will have direct contact with trained residential treatment counselors; speech, occupational, and physical therapists; Masters-level therapy staff; teachers and teacher assistants; and medical specialists.

Q: When can my child get in?

A: Please contact the appropriate location through our Admissions pages to discuss timing. 

Q: How long will my child have to stay?

A: The average length of stay is 12-14 months. 

However, your child's length of stay is dependent on his or her unique treatment plan. 


Q: Where will my child attend school?

A: Your child will attend school on campus at either Black Hills Children's Home or Sioux Falls Children's Home.

Both Black Hills Children's Home and Sioux Falls Children's Home have schools on campus with Academic Programs that are approved by the South Dakota Board of Education. Children in residential treatment attend school year-round. Both schools provide a highly structured class setting with a 1:6 teacher to student ratio. Academics follow common core standards. Students also receive physical education, music, and art classes. 

Visit our Day School Program page to download a copy of our Comprehensive Plan that applies to both Owen School at Black Hills Children's Home and Loving School at Sioux Falls Children's Home. 

Q: Do your teachers have any special training? 

A: Yes! 

All educational staff receive 40-50 hours of annual training specifically related to meeting the needs of the children we serve.

Q: My child receives special services, such as an IEP or speech therapy, at school. Will this continue?

A: Yes. Children in either residential treatment or the Day School program will continue to receive special services.

Individualized Education Programs (IEPs) are not required, but if a student has an IEP, it will continue to be implemented and managed by school staff at either Black Hills Children's Home or Sioux Falls Children's Home. Additional therapy services such as occupational, physical, or speech therapy are also provided. 

Q: Are you accredited?

A: Yes!

We are accredited by The Joint Commission

Q: I am unsatisfied. How can I file a grievance?

A: Follow this link for more information and instructions on how to file a grievance.

File a Grievance

Learn more about the admissions process.