SAFETY ALERT: If you are in immediate danger, please call 911. There is always a computer trail, but you can leave this site quickly by clicking the "Leave Site" button.
How can you improve your safety?
Having a safety plan can help you prepare in advance for the possibility of future violence.
- During an argument, move to an area where the risk of injury is lowest - avoid bathrooms, the kitchen, or any room without access to an outside door.
- Think about how you can exit your home safely, considering which doors or windows you could use.
- Leave your keys and purse in a safe, easily accessible location so you are able to take them with you if you need to leave quickly.
- Keep a copy of important documents, keys, or extra clothing with someone you trust.
- If you have a protection order, keep a copy with you at all times. Keep an extra copy with a friend or neighbor or other safe place.
- If you need to leave your home, decide ahead of time where you can go that is safe, such as Children's Inn, a relative's home, or another location unknown to your abuser.
If you decide that leaving is the safest option, take these items with you, if possible:
- ID or Driver's License
- Birth Certificate for all family members
- Medical Records for all family members
- Social Security Cards for all family members
- Medications for all family members
- Important papers (protection order, divorce papers, insurance information, school records, immigration/refugee paperwork, passport, etc.)
- Favorite toys or blankets for children
Our detailed Safety Plan Form is designed to help you consider your options and determine the best way to get you and your children to safety.
If you or someone you know is a victim of domestic violence, there is a way out.
We can help.
Find Safe Shelter
Children's Inn 409 N Western Ave, Sioux Falls SD 57104 (605) 338-4880 email@example.com